Smoothie 3D printer

Post details of your projects here.
basicchip

Smoothie 3D printer

Post by basicchip » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:26 pm

>from help line
>Yes bruce. I'm looking to port Smoothie, a firmware for 3d printer controllers.
>I can use gdb for debug

>I need jtag support, so I can reprogram bootloader.

basicchip

Re: Smoothie 3D printer

Post by basicchip » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:27 pm

>can I get the serial debug cable?
>Im going to port NuttOS to it, then port my code

basicchip

Post by basicchip » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:28 pm

I assume this is a project you are working on for yourself. while the LPC4330 is a step up from the LPC1768, an LPC4078 might be a better candidate. It depends on what features you are looking to add.

The serial cable is the same as the one Arduino uses, and are available cheaper than we can buy the components on eBay. Our version has the advantage of automatically placing the CPU in ISP mode during C downloads.

basicchip

Post by basicchip » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:28 pm

>I need the isp ability
>Ive ordered a isp basic will it be able to do isp mode?
>Do u produce lpc4078 board in a arduino due format or other?

basicchip

Post by basicchip » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:36 pm

On JTAG/SW connection, one thing I am working on is an adaptation of NXP's LPC11U35 JTAG/SW debugger which is part of some of their LPCxpresso boards. This is with some help from NXP, though with the merger with FreeScale, I expect things to be pretty confusing there for a few months as they sort out what is what.

We will place this design out there as OpenSource, and also offer bare boards, or assembled ones. We have played a bit with the source, but as it stands now it requires a licensed Keil/IAR, so the easiest is to just publish the .hex file for loading.

Are we going to add JTAG/SW support to MakeItC / BASICtools? Not for now, that is a pretty big job and we don't see much payoff in doing it. Yes there are some times when you really need source debugging/single step. But I find that beyond those times, having that resource makes you lazy, and you tend to throw code together and then use the debugger. Often if you spend more time planning and writing code it goes smoother. And sometimes you have to pull out the old printf, just because there is some interaction that you have to watch in realtime, and single stepping doesn't cut it.

basicchip

Post by basicchip » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:38 pm

On the LPC407x. We did do a version with the LPC4078 80 pin device on the SuperPRO. This used some engineering samples, but since then NXP dropped the 80 pin version of the LPC4078.

They do offer the LPC4074 in 80 pins and we have built some versions of those for an OEM customer. But as of now we don't offer them as a standard product.