Programming

Questions on UARTs, and serial communication
GKDarin

Programming

Post by GKDarin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:07 pm

Good Afternoon Bruce,

With my projects, the boards that are shipped connect to software written on a PC.
I would like to be able to have the latest software on the PC update the code on the ProPlus and SuperPros attached to the system.
Are there any methods, either command line driven through one of your exe's.
Or using the Serial commands that I could use to send a program to the ProPlus/SuperPro.

Thanks,
Darin

basicchip

Re: Programming

Post by basicchip » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:18 pm

Are you looking to update just the BASIC program or BASIC firmware as well?

In any case you'll need a serial connection to the PC, which can be a Coridium USB dongle or FTDI cable (though that requires some user intervention to get into ISP mode)

I face a similar issue with loading BASIC firmware, which I do use MakeItC, which works about as fast as I can break the panels apart.

In BASICtools, it does have to do a recompile, though a shortcut to reload the last compiled program could be added, I'm not sure it saves that much time.

GKDarin

Post by GKDarin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:42 pm

Just looking to update the BASIC program for right now.

All of my units in the field right now are running on the FTDI Cable, so from past experiece I don't think updating firmware is possible.

I'd just rather not have to talk my users through BasicTools, or have to send them a uncompiled BAS file.

Thanks,
Darin

basicchip

Post by basicchip » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:45 am

There are 2 ways we could go with this. We could offer a command line version, but that assumes your user can handle that.

Or we could offer something with a simple menu interface, that allows you to pick a COM port, test the connection, and do the update.

So we are looking for feedback on what you might want.